Best Practices for Improved Website Traffic
According to a recent study and research paper by Annie Hung* (noted below) and Hubspot, blogging is the single best thing you can do to improve traffic and ROI (Return on Investment) on your website. The study noted that blogging provides more traffic and leads than investment in SEO or rather, SEM (Search Engine Marketing). Please note that we said “investment in SEO or…SEM”, meaning that basic SEO is required to even get picked up by Google, Yahoo, Bing, and others.
We advise our clients to invest first in good SEO, then try and build linking strategies, then blog. Even writing one blog a month can really help you gain traffic, leads, and eventually customers. Blogs need to be written about information that is important to your customers and potential customers. Otherwise they wont come back for more.
Since Blogging is #1 we’ll start this series with keys for blogging.
Here are a few keys to writing an effective blog:
- Get ideas from your audience. Provide answers the questions that your audience are looking for.
- Use good SEO. Blogs will not get picked up without the use of good page titles, sub-titles, descriptions, and carefully selected keywords.
- Important information. People want to read information that is personally important to them or their business. Let’s face it – people aren’t that interested in improving your website traffic but they will take time to read stuff that matters.
- Keep it to the point. Stay on topic and don’t write for search engines. Write for people – they will notice the difference.
- Use bullet points. People like short and to-the-point information.
- Use pictures, graphs, etc. to tell the story.
- Write as often as you can. Google loves fresh content and apparently so do people. 46% of people read blogs more than once a day. (HubSpot Science of Blogging 2010)
- Include a call-to-action such as: follow me on twitter; read more at…, like us on Facebook.
MBA Class of 2014
Sloan School of Management
Massachusetts Institute of Technology